I had been planning on preparing this recipe for quite some time now and last weekend I finally had the chance of making it. Giving this traditional dessert a twist: Coconut milk Rice pudding!
In my country (Panama), rice pudding is known as “Arroz con Leche”, literally translated into ‘rice with milk’. Coconuts are very abundant in Panama, so let’s just mix all that for this sweet recipe, completely sugar-free, sweetened with stevia, so you can all enjoy it with no regrets or guilty feelings.
Ingredients (makes 4 portions):
1 1/2 cup (soy) milk
400ml coconut milk
3/4 cup white rice
2 teaspoons stevia extract (using the Vanilla Flavored Pure Liquid Stevia from NuNaturals)
Optional: Drained cherries.
1. Combine the milk and coconut milk in a pot and bring it to a boil at low fire. This will take you around 5 minutes. I’m using soy milk instead of regular milk since soy milk has a natural sweet taste that will benefit this recipe.
2. After the 5 minutes have passed, add the rice. Keep cooking at a low temperature until the rice becomes soft, this will take around 10 minutes. Keep stirring once in a while to prevent the mixture from sticking to the pot.
3. Beat the egg and add it to the mixture. Also add the stevia extract. Stevia is sweeter than sugar, so you won’t need too much of it. Two teaspoons give the pudding a soft sweet taste, but if you want it sweeter, feel free to gradually add some more.
4. Keep stirring and cook for 3 more minutes at low temperature.
5. Serve in 4 separate cups and refrigerate. Serve with some drained cherries on top for a contrast taste, really nice combination!
Hope you like this recipe, buen provecho!